May 10, 2012

Review - Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Posted by Rebs @ Book-Rants at Thursday, May 10, 2012
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Released: Dec 2011
Rating: 1 out of 5
Genre: YA PNR
Pages: 266
Sexual Content: Some kissing
Source: Purchased

GoodReads Summary:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.



My Thoughts:

This is another...I just moved to a small town with my single parent who works a ton so she doesn't have to be in the scenes very often..seriously can't a MC (Main Character) have parents that are actually involved in the child's life? How many boarding school books are out there..this to me is a cop out..just so the parents don't have to be developed.

Another...Jerky guy being a total jerk to MC..seriously where is the appeal in this? I don't understand..I'm sorry but just because you didn't want Katy to be friends with your sister for fear your alien secret would be revealed doesn't give you a free pass to Douch-land. At one point Daemon actually says he would have no qualms in killing Katy if that meant keeping his family safe...ummm I don't think I would still be hanging out with this guy after a comment like that, but hey maybe I just value my life a bit more than Katy value's hers..

Another... Mysterious things are happeing that the MC can't explain but she just writes it off as imagining things. Seriously I'd like one MC that has the lady balls to just say "What the FUCK is going on here?! I will not be friends with these weirdos unless they tell me the truth"

Another...Almost getting killed by a truck, but being saved by male MC's superpowers. And almost getting killed by a bear. I've read at least 3 books recently with bear attacks. I've come across at least 4 bears this year alone while hiking, I have yet to be charged by a bear, or a coyote, or a cougar...Maybe I just need to be hiking with hunky hero in order for a bear to attack...

Another..female MC that can't stand up for herself..lets herself get treated poorly. Whatever happened to female independence! At one point she goes to the school dance with a side character and Daemon keeps telling her he's bad news. She goes, which I don't have problem with, but then when they get to the dance Katy realizes her date's been drinking and she's already planning in her head to go home with someone else. Well, then Daemon comes over and offers to drive her home, but oh no Katy can't allow Daemon to tell her what to do so she says I'm going to the party with this drunk guy anyways! That'll teach him to tell her what to do! Stupid move Katy! Do you value your life at all?

Another..female MC that thinks she can help defeat supernatural bad guys! I'm sorry but I have problems with this, if I ended up in a middle of some supernatural showdown I would be getting out of dodge pretty quick..But no, not Katy, she can help! (In case you don't know that last remark is sarcastic)

Another..female MC that thinks the male MC is sooo Hawt..and has constant thoughts about how hawt he is

I picked this up expecting a unique alien story instead I got a Twilight-Roswell(TV Show) cross.

Even though from what I've written above it seems like I really didn't like this book..and maybe I didn't but I did still have this strange urge to get home from work and keep reading, like I couldn't wait to find out what happens next. I have a feeling though that this strange urge was the same one you get when you see a car wreck on the freeway..you just have to slow down and look. It's also the same urge that has made me see the twilight movies way more times that I needed to. It's entertaining, but not in a good way.

If you're looking for a book that is quite similar to a lot of stuff out there then I have no doubt you'll enjoy this one. While I personally don't mind some similarities, after all is any idea really original anymore?, this one just had too many similarities to books I didn't particularly enjoy for me to get on board with the story.

Lux Series

Book #1 Obsidian
Book #2 Onyx (May 2012)
Book #3 Opal

3 comments:

Portugal on May 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM said...

I haven't red the book yet but I think it's quite nice to read since I am a book lover! Nice blog by the way.

The Vintage Bookworm on June 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM said...

Ooh, I'm sorry this didn't do it for you. I've heard great things about it so I bought it on my Kindle when it was $5. I really hope I do like it and that it lives up to the hype. Great review, it's refreshing to see someone who actually didn't love it as much! =D

Rebs @ Book-Rants on June 28, 2012 at 6:55 AM said...

Thanks! and thanks for visiting!

Post a Comment

 

Book Rants Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei